Full Moon, New Moon

Do you know that story from the Ramayana?

The demon king Ravana had kidnapped Lord Rama's wife, Sita. Back at his palace, Ravana asked Sita what she thought of him.

"You are like the full moon," Sita replied. "While Rama is like the new moon."

Ravana was pleased, thinking it a compliment. What Sita meant, though, was that Ravana's power was at its peak -- like the full moon, his power would only wane from that point. Rama's power, however, like the new moon's, was on the rise.

That's what I'm reminded of when I look back at this picture of me and Jeevan from October 1986. I was at the height of my discipleship -- the full moon to Jeevan's up and coming new moon.

Guru had made a trip to the Bay Area, which included a visit to my old Center in San Jose. Giribar had since opened up a juice bar and gallery. That's where Jeevan worked and the picture was taken.

On his way out of the gallery, Guru stopped in front of Jeevan and me and began meditating. After a minute or so, he looked at both of us with half closed eyes.

"You two know who I am," Guru said, nodding affirmatively. He gave us each another smile, and then walked out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

David Moretti

Hear Me Roar

Lavanya - A Guest Post